2nGjyaM0o1rqhFuD65616DjpVfI Juicebox Confession: Never Again

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Never Again

"Well you only need the light when it's burning low
Only miss the sun when it starts to snow
Only know you love her when you let her go

Only know you've been high when you're feeling low
Only hate the road when you’re missin' home
Only know you love her when you let her go"

I am not going to tell you to cherish every minute of life. I am going to tell you that I do. 

Why?

Because I have lived through and seen the lows. I have watched what happens when life slips away, unnoticed and under-appreciated.  

People are left standing in the wake of tragedy or disappointment, with nothing to hold onto. With a short string of happy memories and a long string of complaints and wishing-it-had-been-different. 

This doesn't mean that I do not complain. I do. I am human. 

I have days that I eye the nearest window to escape and run away.

I am thankful for those days. Those are the days that make the good and brightness shine ever so brighter.

I lived amongst the darkness for so long. I didn't allow the light in. There was no balance. I missed out on so many moments. I was barely grateful for the breaths I took. The sun would rise every day and yet, I didn't care. I was so fixated on my own hardships, I didn't realized how incredibly blessed I was, I am.

I allowed myself to see the light. I focused on it while appreciating the darkness in which I had came. The chaos is welcomed because the calm is so much sweeter by knowing it. The warmth is so much more inviting when coming in from the cold.

So many people scoff at the idea of cherishing every moment. I see it this way, you can't have a rainbow with out the rain. There is no up without down.

"Staring at the bottom of your glass
Hoping one day you'll make a dream last
But dreams come slow and they go so fast"

I live my life with gratitude. Everything is a lesson. My hardships are my teachers. My darkness, my guide to the light. I will never again allow myself to loose sight of all that I have. I will live my life in balance.

I will not take shelter waiting for the storm to pass. Instead I will dance in the rain. 


See more confessions over on More Than Cheese and Beer


14 comments:

  1. Great advice and great post! We would all be happier if we could remember to live like this. Of course, as you say, we're human and we will inevitably forget. But it's nice to be reminded every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes a lot to remember. I have to do it. There is no choice for me. If I want happiness I need to acknowledge and thank the struggles.

      Thank you so much for reading! XOXO

      Delete
  2. *grabbing rain shoes*
    I wanna dance in the rain with you darlin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have done my battles with "cherish every moment", I conquer them every day. I've always seen "cherish every moment" as a passing comment made to make mothers feel guilty for not enjoying every shit smear on their foreheads or tantrums in target. It's nice to see you take that saying and make it your own adaptation of "I cherish every moment for what it is" good, bad, poopy.
    Thanks for adding that perspective. I can appreciate that.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can respect your challenges with "cherish every moment." It does sound condescending at times. I have learned that, for myself, I can not wallow in the bad. It drags me down and envelops me in darkness.

      Thanks for reading! XOXO

      Delete
  4. Lovely reminder to be thankful for what we have and enjoy life while we can. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenn!! It takes work but like every good thing, it is worth it in the end. Thank you for stopping by!! XO

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you went through an incredibly hard time. I'm glad to hear you seem to be on the other side of it:) Thank you for posting. Sometimes we all need to be reminded:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful confession! I can relate in that I have also struggled in the past with getting stuck in the dark place and lingering there for too long instead of choosing to see the the positive and move forward. When I reflect back now, I realize that I was completely miserable. I have many reasons to sit around and linger in the dark, but I have been practicing dancing in the rain. It's not worth it to wait for the storm to pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree. It is hard work and doesn't usually come naturally. But once you master it, is makes all the difference.

      Thank you so much for reading!!

      Delete
  7. Another excellent post. You make me proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for another fantastic prompt. XOXO

      Delete