2nGjyaM0o1rqhFuD65616DjpVfI Juicebox Confession: Say What?

Friday, March 21, 2014

Say What?


**Welcome to a Fly on the Wall group post. Today 15 bloggers are inviting you to catch a glimpse of what you’d see if you were a fly on the wall in our homes. Come on in and buzz around my house.**


As you would imagine, life with a three year old is never dull. Ever. Even moments that really should not be note worthy turn out to be. 
Most recently the kiddo was rolling around on the floor, quietly moaning. I asked her what was wrong. 

"I wish I could watch a show."

"I told you that we could watch a movie later," I replied, repeating myself for the fifth, maybe sixth time.

More rolling and moaning happened. 

"MOOOOOOOMMY!! I am getting SO boring!!!!"

I had to hold my breath to stifle my giggles. When she uses the wrong word we usually will repeat her phrase back to her, only replacing the wrong word with the correct one and phrase it as a question. That way she hears it said correctly but we don't feel like we are constantly telling her how to say things. So, normally I would have said, "You are getting bored?" Or, "I am sorry that you are getting so bored."

"Are you hearing me, MOMMY?!?! I SAID, I am getting really really boring!!!"

Nope, not going to correct her this time. This one is way too cute.

***

Learning language is tough. There are slight nuances and phrases that make zero sense and you just have to accept them. Being three and having a mom that speaks primarily in cliches and metaphors has GOT to be tough.

This time though, was not my fault. Apparently little ears mishear things VERY easily.

We were getting ready to head out for the day. It was cold and snowy and socks and boots were an absolute must have. I was trying to do 87 1/2 things all at once, as usual. The dogs needed water and the kiddo, help with her footwear. 

"Go sit by the door and I will come help you with your boots in a minute."

I got a slightly funny look that quickly turned into a smile and a bright, "Ok Mommy!!"

I grabbed the water dish and filled that up. I made sure the doors to all the bedrooms and bath were closed. Phone, bag, scarf, hat..... What was that? I stopped and listened. I could hear a tiny voice coming from the kitchen.

"I don't know why but here I am! Sitting here and singing!! My mommy said to so I am!!! Singing by the DOOR!!!"

My little girl was singing a song of her own creation. It was adorable. The words confused me a little though. I asked her to sit and wait by the door nearly every day. Why would she suddenly not understand my request? I grabbed the rest of my things and walked into the kitchen. 

My little singer was sitting on a chair, swinging her stockinged feet, singing happily. She stopped when she saw me and asked, "Can I stop singing now? Please?"

"Of course you can!"

"Phew!!" She smiled at me, "I didn't want to make you upset."

Now, I was confused. I asked her why she thought I would be upset if she stopped singing.

"Because you said to go and SING by the door. Remember?"

I could barely get her boots on I was laughing so hard. "You misheard me, peanut, I am sorry. I said to SIT by the door!! I will try my best to better enunciate from now on."

"Did you like my song?"

"I loved it. Thanks, kiddo. You are the best."

***

"MOMMYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! DON'T LEAVE WITHOUT ME!!!" 

I could hear her scurrying to her feet from my bed, obviously panicked. I rushed in, still wearing my towel from my shower.

"I am not leaving, I'm not even dressed!"

A look of relief washed over her face. "Oh good! I heard a rumble and thought you had started the car."

"That was the garbage truck, sweetie. Not mommy's car. Plus, I would never ever leave without you!" My real question was how did she confuse the garbage truck with my tiny Toyota?

"Thank you mommy. I am glad." She crawled back onto my bed. As she snuggled in she glanced at my bedside table where I keep my phone docked. "Oh!! I know you were not leaving! See? Your phone is still here."

Apparently leaving without her is in the realm of possibility but leaving without my phone, not a chance. Three year old logic is hilarious.

***


 Don't forget to check out the other challenge participants!
                         Baking In A Tornado

                                  The Rowdy Baker

                                JustA Little Nutty

                                         The Momisodes

                          Spatulas on Parade

                              
    TheSadder But Wiser Girl

                          Follow me home . . .

                Stacy Sews and Schools

                                   DinosaurSuperhero Mommy

                          Someone Else’s Genius

                             Menopausal Mother

                                     Pink HeartString

                                             Spinster Snacks

22 comments:

  1. I love the last one about your phone! I won't say it's something my kids would think too, but, well, yeah it definitely is ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute, no wonder so many moms blog, our kids say the most adorable thing. I LOVE singing by the door, wish you had gotten a sneak video of that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! I may have to install hidden cameras. Thanks for the great challenge!!

      Delete
  3. Lil Bit has this thing where, in the morning now, she HAS to cuddle with me for 10 minutes or her day is just shot to hell.

    I go with it.....I love it! lol

    Your little one is so precious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is adorable!! I would totally go with it, too. A morning cuddle definitely can't hurt the day's potential. :)

      Delete
  4. This is so adorable! My kids are the same way---if my phone is in the house, then they KNOW I have to be nearby because I never go anywhere without it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We gave her one of our old phones loaded with apps for her. She has now taken to not leaving the house without it.

      Remember when phones had cords and, if you were lucky, you could make it to the light switch in the other room before ricocheting back to the base? ;)

      Delete
  5. I'm going out on a limb here and guessing she is ANYTHING but boring :) Loved your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and your limb would be correct. :) She is pretty awesome.

      Thanks for reading!!

      Delete
  6. Phone on the dock=Mom is still home. Funny how things have changed, eh? Your daughter sounds adorable. I loved singing by the door! I wish I would have had a blog when my kids were little...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things have changed SO much. I remember my first cordless phone and all the freedom it brought me. If only I knew that on day I would have a phone I could leave the house with, my mind would have been blown. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm singing by the door!
    Oh that story made my day.
    So cute!
    I miss when my people were little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still giggle about it. She definitely makes my days far more entertaining than they ever were before.

      Thank you for reading!!

      Delete
  8. oh the mind of a 3 year old. That's how old my grand daughter is. They are a hoot!
    Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three year old kids are comedic geniuses!!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. She would totally let you. Until she was done. "Too much hugging, MJ. Too much."

      Delete
  10. Love it!

    And thanks for the very specific 87 1/2 things you were doing (as usual)! I should probably try and be more precise when I say that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!! I counted. 87 1/2 is an average. Your number may be different. ;)

      Delete
  11. The preciousness is too much!! Must. Look. Away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Careful, if you look away she might steal your phone from your purse and download games on it. If you must look away, do so with only one eye. ;)

      Delete