2nGjyaM0o1rqhFuD65616DjpVfI Juicebox Confession: My Life In Music

Friday, April 4, 2014

My Life In Music


If a movie were going to be made about your life, what are 7 songs that would be on the soundtrack to that movie and why would you choose those songs?


Music has always played an enormously important role in my life. There have been songs that have gotten me through some dark times and others that have helped me celebrate the good.

Choosing only seven songs to represent my life in a soundtrack is close to impossible. Maybe 70, 700 would be better. Every memory I have has a musical counterpart. Every moment a note worthy tune. So, here are seven of those memory inducing pieces. Sometimes it is the lyrics, sometimes the melody. Whatever it is, these songs never fail to induce memories.

1.     I have to start with the song my husband and I first danced to as husband and wife. Such Great Heights by Iron and Wine as sung by a good friend of ours. You can read the entire story HERE.

2.     Over The Rainbow by Israel "Iz" Kaʻanoʻi Kamakawiwoʻole always brings me back to my pregnancy with our daughter. She was conceived after a heart breaking loss and a whole lot of time. A successful birth after a loss is referred to as a “rainbow baby.” She is ours and this song summed it all up perfectly for us.

3.     Brave by Sara Bareilles. This song speaks to me loudly and clearly. I stopped writing for a while. When I slowly started to open myself up to it again this song became popular. I found comfort in those words.

4.     Black by Pearl Jam. The memories this song brings back from my earlier years are intense. However, sometimes it is nice to throw open the flood gates and drown in the nostalgia.

5.     Hands Down by Dashboard Confessional.  This would play during the montage that would be the summer my husband and I fell in love.

6.     Electric Youth by Debbie Gibson would play while I went to my first concert (Miss Gibson, of course) and during the subsequent coming-of-age series that would follow.

7.     Anything by the Eagles or Air Supply or Abba would play in the background during my childhood. This was music I remember my mother playing and singing along to in the car.


There are so many more songs I could list. These seven seem like a drop in the musical ocean of my soundtrack.

What song(s) speak to you? Do you have a theme song?




Thank you for reading my contribution to Baking In A Tornado’s Secret Subject Swap. 14 bloggers secretly swapped subjects/writing prompts to interpret into their own style. My prompt was submitted by Climaxed. Please head over and check out their post and all the other brave bloggers!!

26 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the image you used for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have spent longer looking for the perfect image than I did actually writing this piece. I will never tell. ;)

      Delete
  2. I am so bad with music, I prefer to listen to and read books. Now if I had to choose books or characters then I could listen TONS of them. Though I will ahve to check out some of these songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to read as well. But music, it is in my soul. Thanks for reading!!

      Delete
  3. I once said "When no one else understands, music does". I love the power of music.
    One of my 7 would be "Lucky" by Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat (mine and my husband's song). I'd have to think about what the other 6 would be. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I love that quote. So so so true.

      Lucky is a great song. Brings back some really great memories.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. I don't have a theme song. I doubt I could pick 7. But... this is a big one for me right now. I hope you like it.... http://youtu.be/AMshi2aS3-o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good. At first i was convinced I couldn't pick 7. It seemed too hard. Then, once I started, I could have gone on forever. XOXO

      Delete
  5. Although 7 was a challenge for you, I like that you had to stick to a low(er) number, it seems to have forced you to be more thoughtful and careful about the songs and corresponding milestones you chose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is true. It definitely made me focus and condense my love of music into a select 7. Any more and I fear I would have lost myself and never stopped. XOXO

      Delete
  6. I LOVED this!! I feel like a person who didnt know you suddenly got SO much insight from your discription of 7 songs! Great peice love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Once I re-read it I realized how much of me is in the music and what it means to me. XOXO

      Delete
  7. brave seriously made me cry. the music video is one of the greatest things i have seen in my life. i did not have a very hard childhood and did not struggle with bullying at all but i still found it hard to be myself. what a great song. i also loved reading about the other songs that are special to you. great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tear up almost every time I hear it. I feel like every child, on their 10th birthday, should be handed the lyrics and a CD of that song. XOXO

      Delete
  8. Great choices! Music can bring back so many memories and help to create new ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love how a few seconds of a song can instantly transport you back to a very specific time. Musical time travel. :)

      Delete
  9. Pearl Jam's Black is on my life soundtrack, too! And I learned something new - I didn't know about rainbow babies. It's a beautiful sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black is one of a few songs that makes me feel ALL the feelings. XOXO

      Delete
  10. Dear Michelle, I know that you are a couple of years younger than me, but you know what? The music that your Mom likes? Are also some of my favorite bands…
    I loved getting to know you better through your songs - what a great way!
    Just recently I posted about my life's soundtrack as well. I was allowed to use 11 titles, and I found it hard to limit myself as well!
    http://thethreegerbers.blogspot.ch/2014/03/the-coveted-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can learn a lot about a person through their music. XOXO

      Delete
  11. Awesome post. I like the Eagles too. Take it. To the limit. One more time.... My theme songs, like music that might be played as I walk out to the ring on the WWE, would include Can't Touch This by MC Hammer and No Diggity by Blackstreet, maybe This is Why I'm Hot by Mims. Oh yeah, definitely My Milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.... Then I also like You Light up my Life by Debbie Boone, The Warrior is a Child by Twila Paris, and Just Fine and No More Drama by Mary J. Blige, like those speak of my life. And Erykah Badu's On and On. And maybe Koko Taylor, "I'm a woman." Wooah Yeah. Oh, and Raise your Hands Bon Jovi, but only for the scene where I'm eating ice cream in a winnebago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment is the BEST! Now I want to make a movie of you JUST for the soundtrack. It is exceptional.

      Delete
  12. John Waite's "Missing You" REO Speedwagon "I can't fight this feeling anymore". Cheesy songs that I played the heck out of growing up. Chicago, Eagles, INXS, The Cure and Lionel Richie! How's that for a spectrum? Like you said, too many to count. You got to see Debbie Gibson in concert? I'm so jealous!
    Also, I love the name, "Rainbow babies". Precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are some pretty great songs. Sometimes cheesier is better.

      XOXO

      Delete
  13. I loved your post but it would be hard for me to pick just 7 songs. Every time I hear one of the oldies, it brings back so many memories. I am probably closer to your grandma's era rather than your mom's -- just when rock music was introduced. I, too, have a rainbow baby but I never heard that expression before - beautiful Carol at http://batteredhope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a hard time with narrowing it down to 7. I decided to approach it by choosing 7 memories, then setting the soundtrack from there. Made it much more manageable.

      The term "rainbow baby" makes me so happy. I love that it is acknowledged that from the storm of loss, a rainbow is formed. It really is beautiful.

      Delete